Author Topic: Way of Tai Chi  (Read 6590 times)

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
  • Date Joined: Aug 2002
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wu-jing.org
Way of Tai Chi
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:49:47 PM »
Not much is known on Wu Jing's upcoming work revolving around Tai Chi yet, which Wu Jing might possibly be directing. Anyhow, while attending Sina Chat on Legendary Assassin along with Nicky Li and Celina Jade on November 20 (which we'll cover in a few days on the main site), Wu Jing was asked if Legendary Assassin features any specific forms of martial arts.

Wu Jing replied that they used the most direct and straightforward moves, incorporating all kind of elements, but without any specific styles, and added, "If you were talking specifically about forms, about defining the trend with a specific school of martial arts, we are already working on the preparation, and the script has just been completed, the next movie is Tai Chi."

But for now, Wu Jing would first be joining Jeffrey Lau's Robot.
"Unless we change our food choices, nothing else matters. Because it is meat that is destroying most of our forests. It is meat that pollutes the waters, it is meat that is creating disease which leads to all our money being diverted to hospitals. So it’s the first choice for anybody who wants to save the earth." Maneka Gandhi, Member of Parliament, India

"The single most effective action we as individuals can do take tackle climate change is turning vegetarian." Dr James Hansen

Offline Maz

• Honey, I Shrunk the Violet
  • Date Joined: Nov 2008
    • View Profile
Tai Chi
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »
I would like to see this get made. Still feel Wu Jing is best in Kung fu movies/series. Also about time he take a break from doing modern actioners.

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tai Chi
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
Though it'll be very difficult to come up with something that'll top Master of Tai Chi, or something new, given that Master of Tai Chi has covered too wide an area in Tai Chi. At least, hope to see Wu Jing maintaining his standard and gather all the wushu stars together for this film.

Don't know about who he'll get for the martial arts choreography involving Tai Chi, but Yuen Wo Ping's second to none here.

Or Sammo Hung, he's crafted some excellent Tai Chi scenes in Kung Fu Cult Master, despite the brevity.

Or perhaps Tan Qiao, who might be able to come up with fantastic ideas for Tai Chi sequences too. He's involved behind-the-scenes and in front of the camera in some of Wu Jing kung fu productions to good results.
"Unless we change our food choices, nothing else matters. Because it is meat that is destroying most of our forests. It is meat that pollutes the waters, it is meat that is creating disease which leads to all our money being diverted to hospitals. So it’s the first choice for anybody who wants to save the earth." Maneka Gandhi, Member of Parliament, India

"The single most effective action we as individuals can do take tackle climate change is turning vegetarian." Dr James Hansen

Offline Maz

• View Profile
Tai Chi
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
As long as he (or anyone) makes a traditional kung fu movie then I'm happy. I've heard good things about Master of Tai Chi. His series looks better than his movies. Need to search for them but not sure which is his better work. I only own New Shaolin Temple, the series which introduced me to Wu Jing back in 1998

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tai Chi
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Frankly speaking, I'd rate New Shaolin Temple as the least best among Wu Jing's kung fu series (that is wuxia and anything else not included), since despite the crew and cast, the production somehow didn't manage to capture the flavour of the original, and the martial arts sequences are mostly rather banal, save for the finale and a rare few in between. And the story felt a bit forced, "over-stretched", "over-fed" - trying too hard to extend, extrapolate and stuff too much details into something that's only 1 1/2 hr long.

Master of Tai Chi is definitely Wu Jing's best. Very creative and polished martial arts sequences that'll take your breath away - I dare say better than Tai Chi Master movie. And since you understand Chinese, you'll be able to appreciate the plot (simple but well-written) and most importantly, it's the intricacies of the martial arts philosophy so brilliantly incorporated here that make Master of Tai Chi such a classic. While this isn't a stretch on Wu Jing's acting, he comes across as very natural and unaffected in his portrayal here, an all-around likeable guy. ::angel-innocent::

Where martial arts sequences are concerned, Wu Jing's Shaolin King of Martial Arts, 36th Chamber of Southern Shaolin, Southern Shaolin, and Water Margin: The Aftermath are very good too, except they won't topple Master of Tai Chi.

For something a little wacky, try Flea on Drum: Shi Qian where Wu Jing wreaks havoc on everyone. ::wacko:

And there's another kungfu series I'd highly recommend. Not Wu Jing's, but it's just plain awesome - Legend of Shaolin Kungfu.

Offline Maz

• View Profile
Tai Chi
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:15:50 PM »
Thanks Elhcay. I'll pick up Master of Tai Chi on my next DVD orders

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tai Chi
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »
At a publicity event for Legendary Assassin, Wu Jing says that an actor who wants to shoot a kungfu film well must base his foundation on competition and practical combat in order to better understand what wushu is. He's already in preparation for Tai Chi, his next film as a director. Wu Jing is returning to Chen Village (probably after wrapping up Jeff Lau's Robot) to further his learning on Tai Chi, in particular, practical combat.

"Yang Lu Chan went to Chen Village thrice before becoming a grandmaster; Wu Jing will go there for the fourth time, the fifth time," says Wu Jing, with a very determined look in his eyes.

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Way of Tai Chi
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:09:52 AM »
Scriptwriter Lang Chen says that the initial script for Way of Tai Chi is ready for Wu Jing to go through. No mention of production date though. But Wu Jing has lineup (Fantastic Four Detectives, New Shaolin Temple) until April 2010.

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
Appears that this film is set in Sapporo, Japan (partially or completely?) and hence the scriptwriter Lang Chen had to do researches on Japanese culture and various forms of Japanese martial arts as well as relevant history which taxed him greatly and took up much time.

They are still undecided on the title, for they feel that as Wu Jing's character 元道 Yuan Dao (which could be a Japanese name but I don't speak Japanese, hence I'm using pinyin here) would be battling Japanese opponents, having a title as Way of Tai Chi could be seen as Tai Chi being a form of anti-Japanese combat. It would be called Yuan Dao for now.

After reviewing the initial script, Wu Jing requested Lang Chen to add more sentimentalism development.

Offline Maz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
I'm glad there's some progress/update for this. This is definitely my most anticipated of his upcoming projects and hope things get finalized. The end of the year and next year could be a good year for Wu Jing with these interesting movies lined up

Offline whizzr

• Crawling out of Woodwork
  • Date Joined: Oct 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »
Oh dear, Japan ?? this could go either way... I really have my reservations about this  :-[ Compared to the chilling, full bodied swings (and hacks) of the Japanese Katana, on-screen Chinese swordplay on the other hand has mainly been ... showy, noisy and posey; but lacks the impact of the chill, deadly intent you immediately sense when you hear the click of release or witness the swing of the katana. Still I'd really hope to someday see an on-screen Chinese sword in battle but done with real respect for the single purpose those 4-foot long lengths of steel were forged for - to kill, pure and simple.

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »
It's still in early development. Not sure how its setting is like, until we know learn of the story.

Offline Elhcay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
It's not known if this is still the same Tai Chi film Wu Jing has been planning, Wu Jing would be doing a Tai Chi film, a collaboration between his management and Hollywood, later this year, after finishing Liu Meng TV series.